When considering options for straighter teeth, you may want to look at the benefits of Invisalign versus traditional braces. Answering the question of which treatment is right for you requires consideration of several factors, including your specific dental issues, requirements, and treatment goals. Both braces and Invisalign are designed to straighten teeth while improving your smile and oral health. Here are some contrasts and comparisons you may want to consider when making a decision about the best option for straightening your teeth.
- Invisalign is removable while braces are bonded to your teeth.
- Braces are typically metal, although there are enamel color options. Invisalign is clear, or virtually invisible as the name suggests.
- Braces can be difficult to clean, requiring you to work around brackets and wires. Invisalign trays are easily removed to be rinsed and cleaned.
- Upon completion of treatment, both braces and Invisalign are likely to need an ongoing positioner or retainer.
- Braces can treat more complex orthodontia cases while Invisalign has more limited treatment abilities.
- Treatment with braces includes many food restrictions to keep from damaging the brackets and wires. Because you remove the Invisalign trays when eating, there are no restrictions to what you can eat or drink.
- For maximum treatment success, with Invisalign you must be vigilant about wearing the trays a minimum of 22 hours per day. Braces are bonded to your teeth so there is no need to worry you may forget to wear your appliance.
In comparing braces to Invisalign, it is important to determine your particular needs and consult with your orthodontist to decide which will meet those needs in the best way to achieve your treatment goals.