If you or your child have been referred by your dentist to an orthodontist for treatment to straighten teeth, there are some questions you will want to ask to ensure a successful experience. Orthodontic treatment is an extensive process, so arming yourself with knowledge will help guarantee optimal results. When consulting with an orthodontist, consider asking the following:
- What type of braces do you recommend? Would Invisalign, lingual, or Speed braces be an option?
- Will braces be necessary for the top teeth, bottom teeth, or both?
- Will rubber bands be necessary to correct the bite?
- Will headgear or other appliances be necessary? If so, for how long and when will the appliance need to be worn?
- Will any teeth need extraction?
- Will orthodontic treatment alter the facial appearance?
- What is the schedule for orthodontic checkups and adjustments over the course of treatment?
- What happens if a wire or bracket breaks or is poking into the cheek or gums? Will this require a visit to the orthodontic office?
- Do braces hurt? If so, for how long and how should the discomfort be controlled?
- Is it possible to play contact sports when wearing braces?
- What kind of oral home care will be necessary with braces? Do braces require special brushes, toothpaste, or floss to maintain?
- How long will orthodontic treatment take from start to finish?
- Will a retainer be necessary after treatment is finished? If so, what kind of retainer will you provide and when will it be worn?
Today’s orthodontics offers many options for straightening teeth and correcting jaw problems. It is vitally important that you are comfortable with the process before beginning treatment. In cooperation with a qualified orthodontist, your treatment will result in a lifetime of straighter, healthier smiles. Schedule your consultation with Sherman Oaks orthodontist, Dr. Fotovat.