Advances in technology have created options for orthodontia beyond traditional metal bracket braces. One of these options is lingual braces. Lingual braces are an “invisible” treatment for misaligned teeth that are similar to traditional braces, with the exception that they are applied to the backside of your teeth. Lingual braces may be an especially attractive option to adults who prefer to avoid the “train track” look of metal braces. Some of the advantages of lingual braces include:
- Lingual braces are virtually invisible to other people.
- Lingual braces are custom fit and created to your needs.
- Lingual braces produce visible improvements in a short amount of time.
- Patients with lingual braces report minimal speech interference or discomfort.
- Lingual braces are suitable for treating a variety of misalignment issues.
- Lingual braces do not interfere with cleaning the front of teeth, eliminating the problem of discoloration.
Some disadvantages of lingual braces include:
- Adjusting your tongue to lingual braces may take several weeks.
- Lingual braces may feel rough at first and slightly affect your speech.
- Due to the placement behind the teeth, lingual braces may be more difficult to keep clean.
- Treatment time with lingual braces may be longer.
- Regular orthodontic check-ups and adjustments may take longer with lingual braces.
While most teens and adults are suitable candidates for lingual braces, consult with orthodontist Dr. Fotovat if you live in the Burbank CA area to find out if lingual braces are a good option for your particular needs. With lingual braces, you can achieve a straighter, more beautiful smile without the whole world knowing your secret.