Do you have questions about Invisalign? Maybe you’ve heard the name mentioned as an alternative to traditional metal braces, but you don’t know the specifics. Invisalign utilizes a series of clear plastic trays that are custom fit to your smile goals. Over time, the aligners slowly straighten teeth. When one tray’s goals are complete, the next tray begins its work. When the last aligner in the series is done, the smile is straight and the bite is corrected.
Your additional questions about Invisalign aligners might include the following:
- How long do I have to wear the aligners each day? Invisalign only works properly if the aligners are removed fewer than two hours each day, meaning wear time is 22 hours or more.
- When can I take them out? Invisalign is removed to eat and to clean your teeth and trays.
- How long does the total treatment take? Most adults in Invisalign complete their treatment in one to two years.
- What happens if I don’t wear my aligners as long as recommended? Wearing your aligners less than the total time recommended by your orthodontist will lead them to be less effective than intended. Treatment could take significantly longer to complete.
- What are my food restrictions while straightening my teeth with Invisalign? None! You can eat anything you like because you’ll remove your trays before eating.
- Is Invisalign right for me? If your oral and overall physical health is good, Invisalign is likely a very good fit for you. It’s recommended that Invisalign users have all of their adult teeth fully erupted prior to beginning Invisalign treatment.
Sherman Oaks Orthodontist