A revolutionary method for improving smiles without the hassles of traditional braces is called Invisalign. These clear plastic aligners are used to correct a variety of dental issues, such as teeth overcrowding, gaps, and bite problems. Patients like Invisalign because the invisible aligners allow smile improvement without the embarrassment of a mouth full of metal. Also, easy maintenance is a big draw.
Invisalign aligners are removeable for eating and cleaning. This allows patients to eat whatever foods they desire; there are no diet restrictions with Invisalign. The aligning trays also facilitate simple oral hygiene. Patents can brush and floss normally without having to maneuver around cumbersome wires or brackets. There is no food debris in the aligners themselves since they are removed for eating.
Proper maintenance of Invisalign trays is important to treatment success. Cleaning is simple, but if it is not performed regularly it can allow plaque and bacteria buildup.
Here are some tips to help ensure good condition of the Invisalign aligners during treatment:
- Clean both your teeth and aligning trays before wearing them. Brush and floss your teeth properly. Then gently brush the aligners with regular toothpaste that does not contain any harsh abrasives or chemicals, or use an Invisalign cleaning kit if your dental professional has provided it.
- Do not chew gum while wearing your Invisalign trays. It can become stuck to the aligners and be difficult to remove, as well as damage the trays.
- Avoid eating or drinking hot foods or drinks when wearing your aligners. It is acceptable to drink cool water while wearing the trays, but remove them for drinking anything else or while eating any foods.
- When the aligners are out of your mouth, store them properly to avoid damage or loss. Your dental professional will provide a secure storage case that is best used to house your aligning trays whenever they are not in use.
- Quit smoking because tobacco can stain not only your teeth, but also your aligners. If nothing else, do not ever smoke while wearing the trays.
We look forward to seeing you in our Sherman Oaks dental office