If you are considering straightening your teeth, you may be looking into various orthodontic options. One treatment for correcting a crooked or overcrowded smile is Invisalign. Invisalign uses a clear set of BPA-free plastic trays called aligners to straighten teeth without the metal and brackets associated with traditional braces. The following are some common questions you may have about Invisalign:
- Who is a good candidate for Invisalign? Patients who have healthy teeth and gums are usually good candidates for Invisalign. Adults, teens, and older children whose teeth, including their second molars, have grown in completely can be considered for treatment with Invisalign.
- What kinds of problems can Invisalign correct? Invisalign corrects the same dental problems as traditional braces, including simple to severe overcrowding, gaps, crossbite, overbite, and underbite.
- How long does Invisalign treatment take to complete? Most Invisalign cases are completed within one year. However, the exact amount of treatment time is dependent on your individual situation.
- How long do I have to wear the aligners each day? You will remove the Invisalign aligners when you eat, drink, or clean your teeth. Otherwise, the aligners should be worn for a recommended 22 hours per day to achieve the desired results.
- Are there food restrictions with Invisalign? Because you remove the aligners when you eat, there are no limitations to the types of food you can eat while undergoing treatment.
- Are retainers necessary with Invisalign? Once you have completed treatment, you will need to wear retainers while you sleep to ensure your teeth stay perfectly straight.
To determine if Invisalign is a viable option for your specific orthodontic needs, you should schedule a consultation with an Invisalign trained dental professional where you can ask additional questions specific to your case. No matter what stage of your life, Invisalign offers a comfortable, state-of-the-art approach to beautifying and improving the quality of your smile.