Being a teenager can be hard work, as they often have to cope with the stresses of school and exams and numerous extracurricular activities. This can be a hectic time and it’s easy for good oral care to fall by the wayside. Encouraging your teenager to take proper care of their teeth and gums will help ensure they enjoy a lifetime of good oral health.
- Encourage your teen to brush at least twice a day, preferably after each meal. Gently remind them about the importance of flossing to help remove plaque and maintain healthy gums.
- Discuss the consequences of poor oral hygiene which can include bad breath, stained teeth, cavities, gum disease and even tooth loss.
- Make sure they have everything they need to brush and floss. It can help to buy an electric toothbrush with a built-in timer, and don’t forget to make sure they frequently change their brush. Purchase a brand of fluoride toothpaste they enjoy using, and make sure they have plenty of floss. If they can’t get on with floss, ask your orthodontist in Sherman Oaks about alternative tools such as interdental brushes or soft picks.
- Book regular checkups for your teenager. This will make sure your dentist can detect any problems early on when they are far easier to put right.
- If your teenager wears braces, make sure they have everything needed to keep them clean. This may include floss threaders or other specialist tools such as a WaterPik. Ensure they attend all appointments for adjustments so treatment isn’t delayed.
- Your orthodontist in Sherman Oaks, CA can supply custom-made mouth guards for teens keen on sports. This oral appliance protects the teeth, jaws, gums and lips against injury.
- Try to have plenty of healthy snacks on hand, such as fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy items, for example cheese and yogurt. Encourage them to only eat junk food as an occasional treat.
- Lead by example. Make sure you look after your own teeth and gums, and attend regular checkups and professional cleanings.
Dr. Fotovat offers Invisalign Teen for patients in the Sherman Oaks California area.